11 October 2005

2.2 - hmm, probably how I would have fared had I gone to university

My reading for Unit 2.2 - the militarisation of the CW seems to be going quite well so I thought I would blog some comment at this stage.

Churchill's Fulton speech was an interesting read. Personnally I would have called it the 'special relationship' rather than 'the iron curtain' speech because that seemed to be the main thrust behind the great man's words (I don't know if it was this speech that was the first mention of the 'special relationship' that we like to think that we enjoy between ourselves (GB) and the USA). I highlight this as what I think was the agenda because I think it less appropriate to concentrate on the divide itself (ie the curtain) rather than the cause of the divide, including Churchill's own pursuit of Western strength through unity.
Novikov's telegram was well placed in the course material following Churchill's speech as they really seemed to go hand in hand. As I read it, I couldn't help but think that Novikov's words, amplified by Molitov's highlighting, seemed like quite reasonable deductions from any perspective, Soviet or otherwise. Indeed, I couldnt help but wonder whether the West were deliberately trying to antagonise and provoke an apparently understandable reaction from the Soviets. I have not yet been able to find any evidence to suggest any effort to prevent misunderstood intent on the part of the West.

Ah well, on on. What's next? A little bit of light reading before I retire for the night. Gaddis perhaps? No, he needs a rest after unit 2.1. Young and Kent? No, double column pages and tiny font size - too much like hard work for this late hour. Crockatt, I think. Yes. I've enjoyed what he's had to say for himself so far. Whoever Clara, Sam, Martha and John are, they're lucky people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home